In an age when it is estimated that one in ten young people experience a mental health issue at any one time, and record numbers of young people are struggling due to factors such as social media, bullying, and academic pressures – we believe that Scouts has a place in giving young people and adults skills for life; and in supporting young people and adults to access further support.
Across Merseyside, we are developing our support. We have a group of Mental Health Awareness Coordinators, who have the aim of sharing best practise of mental health support and developing our links with mental health organisations in our local communities.
Below is the list of those who attended the Mental Health First Aid course, and which Districts they operate in. If you would like to be connected with one of the team and do not already have their contact details, please get in touch with the County Office and we will connect you.
- Altside: Dave Winrow
- Bebington: Contact County-wide or District Commissioner
- Birkenhead: Contact County-wide or District Commissioner
- Crosby: Rob Gorst
- Liverpool North: Ste James
- Liverpool South: Hannah Withey
- Sefton North: Jess Makin, Bethan Kiernan and Stella Chisnell
- St. Helens: Beth Ackers
- Wallasey: Andrew Pickersgill
- West Wirral: Contact County-wide or District Commissioner
- County-wide: Les Shaw, Mandy McCarthy, Kev Brown, Michael Hussey and Peter Oliver
Our lead for this area of work is:
Jess Makin, County Mental Health Awareness Co-Ordinator.