To manage and support the Scout District to ensure it runs effectively, and that Scouting within the District develops in accordance with the rules and policies of The Scout Association. To ensure the District provides good quality Scouting for young people and proactively supports and manages adults in the District.
County Lead Volunteer
Deputy District Commissioners, Assistant District Commissioners, Group Scout Leaders, District Explorer Scout Commissioner, District Scout Network Leaders, District Scout Active Support Managers, District Scouters, District Advisers, Nights Away Advisers, District Media Development Manager.
County Commissioner/Area Commissioner/Region Commissioner (Scotland), Deputy District Commissioners, Group Scout Leaders, District Explorer Scout Commissioner, District Scout Active Support Managers, District Scout Network Leaders, Assistant District Commissioners, members of the District Executive Committee and its sub-committees, County/Area/Regional(Scotland) Scout Network Commissioner, , County/Area/Regional(Scotland) Training Manager, Local Training Manager, members of the Regional Development Service, Local Development Officers or Field Commissioner (as appropriate), other District Commissioners, members of the local community, schools and other youth organisations.
Must complete the relevant training (a wood badge) within three years of taking up the role. Must be eligible for charity trustee status (as a member of the District Executive Committee). It is expected that whilst volunteering for this role you will undertake regulated activity.
- Ensure that the District thrives and has the best systems in place to support the Groups, to support all adult volunteers in the District and to develop Scouting in the District
- Provide line management and support to the adults in the District that directly report to you including setting objectives for their work and holding regular reviews and one-to-one meetings.
- Produce a vision for the District and implement a development plan to meet that vision.
- Ensure that Scouting in the District is attractive to young people and adults from all backgrounds in the District.
- Ensure that the District has an adequate team of supported and appropriate adults working effectively together and with others to meet the Scouting needs of the area.
- Ensure that problems within the District are resolved so that excellent Scouting is provided to young people in the District.
- Work with the County Commissioner and other District Commissioners in the County to ensure that the Scouting in the County thrives.
How to apply
Thank you for your interest in volunteering. On the following pages you will find a role description and the person specification. The District Commissioner nomination and application forms are on pages 10 and 11.
You can apply for the role yourself using the application form, or nominate someone else using the nomination form. Nominated people are under no commitment to apply unless they wish to.
Shortlisting will be based solely on the information provided by each candidate in their application form.
For more information, or for an informal chat about this vacancy, please contact:
Name: Daragh O’Malley
Email: [email protected]