Adult Support > Outdoor Skills Weekend
Now in its sixth year the event is based upon an In-depth hands on practical course structured around the bases listed below plus a few impromptu ones, with no theory elements.
Next course: Friday 5th to Sunday 7th April 2019 at Tawd Vale
The course is suitable for both new and established Adult Leaders through all sections; and although not a required Scouting Training Module, a certificate of attendance is awarded plus various other awards. There is no pass or fail element; this course is run by Leaders with skills to assist fellow Leaders to gain knowledge from an array of traditional Scouting and additional skills, on a free to roam day and night basis, allowing you to gain hone re-kindle or refresh old ones.
You will be attending as a member of a group camp, contributing to and sharing all aspects of the camps upkeep. All equipment for the bases is supplied excluding personal sleeping tents and sleeping kit. You may bring your own axes, knives & saws - even if blunt.
- Camp Annual Project: Over the years on the Training field site we have left various structures i.e. a bridge, Sycamore Lodge, cooking shelter with pizza oven and alter fire. We intend to establish it as a self-contained backwoods site with the addition of a new 2019 project yet to be confirmed.
- Fire: In depth base of all aspects of Ignition methods, Tinders & kindling etc and various types of fire building.
- Woodsmanship: Use of a wide array of traditional & new selection of forestry tools & their uses, wood selection, cutting and gathering.
- Green Wood Working: Traditional wood skills utilising Pole Lathe, Shave Horses and a vast array of traditional tools for hands on use you could make your own project.
- Wild Walks: See Tawd Vale from a completely New aspect, discover the vast fawner & wildlife, you will be amazed at the diversity of the site.
- Knife School: Based upon a number of bases throughout the weekend, an overview selection of many cutting tools i.e. axes, knives and saws of all descriptions; and their safe use.
- Carving Skills: Hands on knife handling techniques, carving skills, and practical tutoring skills advice.
- Knife Making & Leather Sheaths: See examples and get valued advice re this subject.
- Sharpening: in depth base covering many aspects of axe and knife sharpening' using wet, oil and field equipment, including tool maintenance etc.
- Backwoods cooking: Using open fire, fire range and spits, Dutch & pizza ovens; also backwoods kitchen pioneering and food prep.
- Traditional Camp Kitchen: Kitchen skills and setup, prospective menu solutions.
- Pioneering: Traditional light camp and kitchen pioneering projects.
- Hammock & Tarps: Learn the art of Hammocking erection techniques and knots - try a hammock for the night or w/weekend; it will be supplied upon request
- Pressure Lamps & Stoves: Learn the art of lighting and maintenance of these quit often misunderstood equipment items.
- Camp Décor: utilizing natural materials to enhance any camp i.e. Dream catcher’s clay modelling etc
All topped off with Communal Camp fires & adult Scouting companionship.
As this is not a mandatory training module; this weekend is not free of charge.
The fee for 2019 will be £35 per person.
If you would like more information, please contact: Mike Winrow.
You can also visit our Facebook page.